Jan 1, 2017

Epilogue

Well, this is going to be something of a bittersweet post, but it's one that I've been meaning to write up for some time.

Back in 2013, I came to the realization that I was slowly burning out on the whole Halloween/Haunting thing. I had a few projects that year which kept the blog semi-afloat, such as the 'Skeletons' short film and my final installment of The Backs, but deep down I felt like I was just bailing water out of a sinking ship. So after the pitiful 'trilogy' of posts on Halloween 2013, I decided that I'd just leave the blog to die a quiet death instead of trying to drag things out further.

It was sad and a bit scary to leave The House of Marrow behind, because my love for Halloween and horror was such an integral part of myself for so long, but I ended up discovering different ways to channel my creativity. I took up painting and photography at school and started writing and recording music in my own time. I found new things that resonated with me and carved out an identity for myself that was more than just 'The Halloween Boy'. And most recently I ended up living in northern Iceland for 10 months as an exchange student, something which I would never have pictured myself doing a few years ago... at the very least I would've chosen the USA as my host country.

There were certainly times when I considered returning to haunting. Every so often I'd be struck with inspiration and start designing props and planning out displays, but nothing ever advanced far beyond that point. As much as I love them, paper-mache ghosts and ghouls feel like already-covered ground to me... so after several years of consideration, I've decided to close this book once and for all.

The good news is that as one chapter ends, another begins. In just a couple of months I'm going to be moving out of home and starting a four-year degree at a proper art school. I'm beyond excited and I don't know if I'd be heading down this road if it weren't for the creative awakening that haunting and prop-building gave me. So really I'd just like to thank my blog followers and everyone in the haunt community that inspired and supported me through my short-lived adventure with this crazy, wonderful Halloween hobby. I don't know how many of you will end up seeing this, but it truly meant the world to me.

Happy New Year and Happy Halloween for all to come,
Theo (Marrow)

19 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Theo.
    I'm very excited for you and simply cannot imagine your creative destiny. Your props and ability to arrange them were always quite brilliant and the fact that you truly were a Halloween Boy back then made it all so much more so.

    I'd like to think there will be something dark and mysterious by way of your future works...whether it be paintings or music or some other spooky form.
    (Feel free to share that stuff with us.)
    Though whatever shape it takes, I'm certain it'll be nothing short of stunning.

    All the best, Theo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change means growth, and we need to always be growing. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So enjoyed seeing your creations and especially your short movie. Best of luck in your future endeavors. It has been a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was always fun to see your creations, and would love to see the artwork you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck in all you do - I'm sure it'll be great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so, so much, everyone! I was worried that I'd just be shouting into the void with this post, so I really appreciate it.

    The dark and mysterious always seems to work its way into whatever I do, so when I start creating a body of work elsewhere online I'll come back and link it here somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish you the very best, Theo. I'm a great admirer of your haunt work, but I understand the need to move on as well.

    Whatever you choose to pursue, I'm sure with your passion and eye for detail, it's going to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate, other things in my life have taken over the time I had spent building props. I still did a haunt this past Halloween, but it was much smaller than the year before. I really enjoyed your work in past, and wish you luck in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your work is beautiful, Theo. I know there will be some wonderful artwork coming from you no matter what medium you choose. You are truly lucky to have found your passion so young. I hope to see where your artistic journey takes you. Wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marrow..you're a true keeper of the sacred October Country, keep on planting & keep pricking your thumbs Marrow..making those wicked things come our way, in whatever form that may be..<333

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your work has been inspirational, and I understand the idea of drifting between creative mediums. You're going places (literally and metaphorically), and I'm excited for you! Good luck unlocking your fullest potential. Safe travels, make life beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best of luck Theo, change keeps life interesting! You have been an inspiration to so many and I'm sure your creative talents will take you far. Thanks for all the Halloween treats over the years. You are a true artist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A thousand thanks to all of you... can't say how much it means to me.

    I'll see if I can find a way to repurpose all this Haunting stuff in a different context ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wasn't aware of your work until now. Our styles are somewhat similar in the "dirty and gritty" realm. I have been in and out of haunting and have often found myself where you are. I love this dark craft but it can feel so at odds with where I live now (Vancouver, BC). People simply aren't in to Halloween like they are in the US. Like you, I keep feeling that I've mostly done my dark visions and am not sure what direction to go. Nothing yet gives me the same satisfaction as creating spooky environments, although my work creating visual chill spaces for the electronic music scene came close. I look forward to exploring your past work now that I know about you. Absolute best of luck in your explorations of new paths of creative expression! If you want to check out my work: www.facebook.com/SpydersRealmCreative. Rot graciously included our last haunt further down in this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry to hear you're not haunting anymore, but I get it. Life changes. And it sounds like yours has headed in an interesting and rewarding direction. I wish you the best.

    Your work continues to inspire me. Even after a few years now, I still find myself looking back at your posts and seeing new elements within them that I find amazing.

    Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. even though you are leaving this for now....maybe a post once in a while to let us know what you are up too?? you are extremely talented and will definitely shine!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think a lot of us haunted bloggers get a little burnt out or move on to other things. And there's nothing wrong with that. Part of the life cycle. Hope you're enjoying things :)

    ReplyDelete